Professor Lee Godden
I am a leading environmental and natural resource lawyer and researcher.
I have over thirty years of experience advising governments, international organisations and companies in these areas, including heading major government reviews.
Qualifications: BA (Hons), Grad. Dip. Ed., BLS, MA, PhD
Specialisations: environmental law, regulation and development, major strategic and government reviews, climate change, sustainability and renewable energy, international policy leadership and development.
- Successfully led a series of major research projects in agreement- making and negotiation in mining, energy and natural resources law to timely completion over three to five year time frames; involving large-scale industry and government partnerships.
- Undertaken in-depth analysis of water law reforms and market mechanisms in Australia, USA, and South Africa and co-convened an Australia-wide water governance research network for three years.
- Undertaken comprehensive analysis of climate adaptation, natural hazards (disasters) and land use planning laws, producing a series of technical reports and plain language ‘co-produced’ reports with relevant government departments resulting in an evidenced-based guide for future resilient and adapted development and infrastructure.
- Led a major commonwealth government law reform review of the Native Title Act 1993, producing 3 major papers with the final report (Connection to Country: Review of the Native Title Act 1993, Report No 126 (2015)) tabled in federal parliament.
- Initiated, planned and facilitated a range of 1-2 day workshops bringing together senior stakeholders in the government, community and industry in the resources and environmental spheres to develop policy briefings and group submissions.
- Planned and implemented field research; conducted extensive interviews and surveys across Australia and internationally.
- Undertaken a comparative analysis of hazardous waste regulatory regimes in all Australian jurisdictions, internationally and in EU, the Netherlands and UK to develop strategic options for improvements to local regulation.
- International Advisory Board membership in water and energy law and International research reviewer and assessor.
- Research centre director at Melbourne Law School since 2008 and taught and developed undergraduate and postgraduate level subjects and programs since 2002; Director Office for Environmental Programs (multidisciplinary, 8 faculty program).